Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Under the Norman Sun???

Contrary to popular belief there is a sun in Normandy. It tends to make an appearance everyday however nobody really knows when and for how long. I find myself waking up in the morning to rain, only to leave the house wearing 5 layers of clothing and an umbrella in hand and seeing a clear blue sky... Yes its pretty unpredictable the weather in Normandy... But then again everything is unpredictable...

I go to class in the morning or in the afternoon to find its been cancelled, I go to the tram stop in the evening to go into town to find that there is an unforseen strike or technically detail.. everytime somebody says they're sorry, but as it happens so often the sincerety just goes away and their apologies become as mechanated as electronic sign at the tram stop. Flashin Due to unforseen tram malfunctioning the trams will not be running. We apologies for the inconvenience.

However, not matter how annoyed I get with France, its bureaucracy and its lack of organisation, just like the weather, there always seems to be just that moment of sunshine that gets me through the day. In the beginning I would find myself cursing France everyday, for one of many reasons.. the way I have to lign up for 10 minutes at the supermarket and then pack my bags myself or also for the way I have to walk 15 minutes to get tokens for a washing machine thats 10 meters away from my apartment. Yes! there are many things that get to me about this country but I always find something that makes love it. Its the country I love to hate, but hate to hate.. No matter what happens in the day I aways find that moment of sunshine, the moments where I manage to have my first phone conversation in french, the days when I arrive at the tram stop to find that the tram arrives seconds later, the times when I walk home from school to find its hard rubbish day and I take home numerous furniture not needed by the neighbouring offices. There's also the days where I come home from a blissening headache from listening to french all day and I find english speaking friends with food to share and ears to listen...

The sunshine in caen isa rare and wonderful occurance that should be taken advantage of when it comes by.. but unfortunately it's impossible to know when that sun will shine.. and when it does shine.. it doesn't last forever.. as there's always those Norman Clouds waiting to cover the sky and take that sun away..

And just like there's the day that I wake up to rain, there's also that day where I wake up to sunshine. Only to find myself with a cold and wet walk home..

No comments:

Post a Comment